Sunday, June 21, 2015

Life in a Hermitage



One week ago, I began an new adventure – while on retreat with my brothers and sisters in the Lindisfarne Community I took vows to deepen my commitment to a life of prayer, study, and contemplation, declaring my home to be the Wild Goose Hermitage of the Lindisfarne Community.  It was not what I’d ever expected to be or to do, after all, I’m married with step-children and grandchildren, I teach at a small college, and have friends and relations from California to Northumberland.  What does it mean for a 21st century Christian to commit to a life of contemplation?

First, you need to know that the Lindisfarne Community represents a new movement in monasticism; we call it “secular monasticism,” monastics who live in the world, not sequestered away in monasteries or convents.  Our desire is to walk in the world grounded in the Love of Christ, being Christ to those we meet and seeing Christ in others.

Three of our brothers have created priories or chapels in or near their homes, seeking to bring the Lindisfarne model to others, inviting the public to join in meetings for meditation, or for worship.  While I’d considered that option for years, and had tried opening my home for a “house church” experiment for a while, it never really “took,” and I had to admit two things:  1) we live in such a rural setting that it is unlikely we will ever draw even a small number of regular attendees, and 2) my heart wasn’t really in the effort to build a house church congregation.  I was drawn to the inward contemplative journey that I’ve been on for the last few years.  

It suddenly became quite clear that we were not meant to create a priory in our little corner of the world, but that we already lived in a hermitage, a small, modest home where prayer, study and contemplation were already the rule of life, where we gathered our energies to meet God and to take the Love of Christ with us out to our lives and ministries in the world.  I say “our,” because this new endeavor includes my good husband as well, as devoted a man of God as I have ever known. 
 
This new model of relationship with the wider Lindisfarne Community has been offered so that others may consider whether this suits their needs as well, and so that I have a touchstone to keep my own intentions clear.  I am grateful to our abbot and abbess for their support of this effort, and pray that the Spirit will move through the hermitage often, making it a place of wisdom, compassion, and peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment