Saturday, December 27, 2014

Mind the Gap

On my first trip to London I noticed the very helpful signs that were posted in useful places.  "Look Right" appears at crosswalks so that pedestrians check one last time for oncoming traffic.  And on train platforms the message "Mind the Gap" keeps passengers from slipping a foot into the space between the platform and the train itself.

While contemplating the ancient story of Christ's birth over the past few days, however, a very different application of the phrase, "mind the gap," came to mind.  The whole point of the Incarnation, the whole reason why God sent His Son, as it was taught to me for many years, was to reach across an unbridgeable gulf between God and humanity, and close the gap Himself.  In the same way, the purpose of the crucifixion was so that Christ could pay a debt, our debt, that we could not pay on our own.  Both of these interpretations suggest a separation between God and God's beloved human community that has never made sense to me.


I've begun to imagine an alternative interpretation to the Gospel stories, and it begins with the question, "What if there is no gap?"  In fact, what if there never was a gap to begin with, that it was all a mistake of perception on our part, and we can never be anywhere that God isn't?  It's intriguing, and for me, compelling.

For example, if God was so very distant, how do we explain passages in the Hebrew Bible (Old Testament) that point to God's intimate presence with God's people in every imaginable circumstance?  How could God seek out Moses in his exile from Egypt, lead him back to Pharaoh, then accompany the people all through the wilderness until they found their way home?  How could God speak directly to the hearts of the prophets, sometimes with a voice of thunder, sometimes in a whisper, encouraging them to speak truth in all circumstances?  How could the psalms capture such intimate expressions of faith and trust, as in Psalm 22:  "But Thou art He that took Me out of the womb; Thou didst make Me hope when I was upon My mother’s breast."  There are other examples, this is just a brief sample.  But it's an indication of why I am not persuaded that God has ever been all that distant from God's people.

So what does the Incarnation teach us, if not that God graciously and finally closed the gap between Himself and us?  My working theory is that over and over God chooses ways, not to close the gap, but to show us that there is no gap.  If Mary's pregnancy was a miracle from God, how is that different from every other pregnancy which, in spite of all we know about gestation and birth, seems to take a miracle to result in a healthy baby?  If Jesus was God's expression in human form, in the most humble and lowly of circumstances, in what way is that different from the thousands of God's children born into poverty and need all over the world?  (Let me hold aside the argument over what "only-begotten" means for the moment.)

I am more and more convinced that we need to mind the theological gap that we assume to be between God and ourselves and decide whether it's really there or not, and if so, what is its nature?  How did it come to be there?  Does it need to be bridged or simply dissolved?   Attempts to answer these questions will lead into the nature of sin and redemption, which I plan to take up soon.  For the moment, let me state what I actually think, at least at the present moment, about the Incarnation.

I believe that Jesus is completely human and completely divine, and that he is so as a way of alerting us that we are all in some measure both human and divine -- that God's presence has never not been intimately infused into our very being.  If we can begin to actually believe it about Jesus, then perhaps we can believe it about ourselves.  And if we can believe that about ourselves, then perhaps we can even believe it about other people.  These first steps have the potential to shift both theology and politics, and for that reason alone, I think it will  be worth pursuing.

I welcome your thoughts as I consider all that this shift will mean.  Blessed Christmas Season to all.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you, Beth for another reflection I can connect with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Megan. And I'm very much enjoying your 12 Days of Christmas reflections. It is so nice to find others who extend the holiday all the way into its proper season!

      Delete
  2. Beth
    I have been reflecting on the goodness of all created things both matter and animals in the Celtic tradition through a book I have been reading.

    It talks about the essential goodness of all things and that in our point of origin we were good in our very deep selves in our essence.

    In Psalm 139 verses 13 to 16 it says "for I am fearfully and wonderfully made and it was God who formed and knit me together in my mother's womb".

    In Genesis 1 verse 31 it says "God saw everything that he had made and it was very good" this infers that God makes good things.

    And Alistair MacLean has written something quite profound which for me explains something of what happens to us as we walk through life. "As the rain hides the stars, as the autumn mist hides the hills, happenings of my lot hide the shining of Thy face from me”.

    It is for most of us a dusty journey as we walk home through life towards the light that created us. It helps to consider that we may be essentially good in our origin and that therefore we can be returned to that goodness when we wash off the dust of our journey.

    For me that is one of the things Jesus came to do for us and revealed on Calvary and displayed through His Resurrection. Evil is real and for me through temptation and doubt covers us in dust so we find it hard to seek for the light.

    This is the light of Christ Jesus the Messiah which is revealed to each one of us in the first four verses of the Gospel of John 1 verses 1 to 4. "And the Life was the Light of all people" and again "The light shines in the darkness and the darkness did not overcome it".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chris, I agree that the essential goodness of God and the essential goodness of humanity are indications of the kind of oneness that I'm suggesting here. I'll need to address the quality of 'coveredness' or 'hiddeness' that you allude to as I develop this theology of unity. Thanks for your observations.

      Delete